The Adventures of a Bean In Flight
Okay. Before I say anything more, I must mention that it’s supposed to be The Adventures of a Bean In Flight. The last two words in italics. But the title machine doesn’t do italics. So.
I believe I mentioned in my last post something I had written, which one could only wrap one’s mind loosely around or one’s brain would freeze to the spoon.
I’ll be talking about that now.
Don’t expect any direction in this post. The book doesn’t have any direction; thus the talking about it has no direction.
It started with my NaNo ’09 novella. That was my first time doing NaNo, and I had a goal of ten thousand words.
I started writing with just about no idea what I was writing about, other than that my main character would be Floide, a female winged bean (pinto bean, if anyone’s curious), and her best friend would be Frede, a female trout in a pumpkin. Floide’s species would be called the Beanbirds, and Frede’s the Pumpkinfish.
Then I started writing.
It turned out that each chapter was a separate short story, and all of them were interconnected very closely but it probably wouldn’t be entirely necessary for a person to read previous stories to understand, say, the fourth one.
It probably didn’t help, though, that each story was excessively random.
I stretched each sentence to it fullest extent in order to get as many words as I could. About halfway through, I realised that I could write more than ten thousand words and upped my goal to fifteen thousand.
In the end, I got sixteen thousand words, and none of them made much sense.
Now, as it turned out, I liked my collection of random very much. So I decided to write a sequel. I called it The Legend Of Ketchy Sooflay. (Ketchy Sooflay was a character in the previous collection. Sort of.)
It was just as random, except it had more elements from the world around me put in it (references to books, conversations I’d just had, et cetera).
After I finished that, I said “Hey, what the heck, I want to write something,” and started on the third book.
I dropped it at some point, for reasons I don’t remember. Maybe I was busy with other things. In any case, I forgot about it until after NaNo ’11. I’d won NaNo, fifty thousand words and all, and was looking to use my winner’s CreateSpace code for something. But I didn’t know what.
The thing I’d been planning on? No way I was getting that done in time.
Anything else? Unfinished and worthless.
Then my mind flew to TAoaBIF (pronounced, as of now, taow[t-ow]-uh-biff). I thought, “Hey! That’s finished. Plus it’s a decent length. Plus I like it. Why don’t I edit that and send it in?”
So I went through TAoaBIF and edited it, for spelling errors, typos, and things I just didn’t want anyone else to see, and then went on to TLoKS (pronounced, as of now, tuh-locks) and did the same thing.
Then came the third book.
I had titled it, for some reason unknown to me, A Perfection Of The Common Soufflé. I opened it up, all ready to edit, and went…
“awwww dang it’s only got two and a half chapters.”
It was true. I had dropped APotCS (pronounced, as of now, ay-pot-sis) halfway through the third chapter.
I frantically (this was late May– just a month to spare before I had to get it in) got to work writing the next chapters. But I had no clue where I had been going with it. I knew it didn’t matter, since the darn thing had no plotline anyway, but this was going to be the final book. I couldn’t just ramble when I didn’t know what to do, as I had done with the others.
I had to do something about this.
So I put out a call for help on NaNo, asking if anyone would like to write a chapter for my bean book. I gave them a general idea of what it was about, gave them a link to some of what I had so far, and waited, all the while editing and writing and hoping for replies.
In the end, I got one chapter back. But it was enough. I had gotten some new ideas in the Bean mind of me, and set about writing and making my guest chapter fit in.
I also purloined lovely Heiroglyph‘s character. I hoped she didn’t mind.
So I managed to wrap it up, check it over, format it all, and send it in.
‘Twas quite an adventure.
I got the interior and cover figured out, and the five copies of my bean book arrived at my house on July 2.
I had gotten it all worked out, and instead of being the sixteen thousand words the original had been, the darn thing was around fifty thousand words. Two hundred and seventy-seven pages, when it was all formatted out.
Now, if anyone wants to read a book about flying beans and strange things (not that I’m, say, self-promoting. Not at all), there’s this little link here– The Adventures of a Bean In Flight
And hey lookie, you can even peek inside! That’s cool!